Most Hated Person in the History of the Animation Industry?

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
tmc_6882

Most Hated Person in the History of the Animation Industry?

Post by tmc_6882 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:08 am

*Alfred Kahn - Alfred Kahn is the CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. Kahn has basically been criticized by traditional anime fans, who believe that his "Americanization" and censorship of anime licensed by 4Kids tarnishes their original format.

*Fred Calvert - Fred Calvert is the man who was chosen to finish "The Thief and the Cobbler" (or "Arabian Knight" as it was theatrically released as in the United States in 1995) after Richard Williams was fired from his 20+ year pet project.

*Jamie Kellner - Wrestling fans hate Jamie Kellner because he ordered the cancellation of WCW programming on TBS/TNT. Eric Bischoff and his group of investors were on the verge of purchasing WCW from Time Warner. But when Kellner had the shows cancelled, this gave Vince McMahon the opportunity to purchase his competition and have a virtual monopoly on the North American pro wrestling market. Anyway, Jamie Kelner was also the WB executive who made sweeping changes, which led to the cancellation/retinkering of certain beloved Silver Age WB shows (i.e. "Animaniacs", "Freakazoid!", "Road Rovers", "Histeria!", "The Legend of Calamity Jane", and "Pinky and the Brain"). Kellner has been maligned for allegedly ignoring such shows' popularity among older demographics, among whom the programs often got higher ratings than in the 2-11 demographic (a la "Pokemon") at which Kids' WB! was primarily aimed.

*Bob Camp - Bob Camp is the guy who took over from John K./Spumco on the production of "Ren and Stimpy" when Nickelodeon fired John K. When Camp and his Games Animation production company took over, I think that fans felt that the show became too reliant on cheap gross out jokes. Ironically, when Spumco revived "Ren and Stimpy" on the "Adult Party Cartoon" on SpikeTV, those episodes were even more hated by the fans than the Games produced episodes.

*Michael Eisner - Eisner gained a reputation during his time as the CEO of the Disney Company for allegedly micromanaging the Disney animators out of their jobs, literally forcing Pixar away, killing a lot of the "Disney Afternoon" style shows by only letting them run a maximum of 65 episodes, and churring out straight-to-DVD/video "cheap-quels" to films such as "The Little Mermaid", "The Lion King", "Aladdin", "Cinderella", "Peter Pan", etc.

*Glen Kennedy - Kennedy's animation studio worked on "Tiny Toon Adventures", "A Pup Named Scooby Doo", and many "Disney Afternoon" shows. Animation fans have criticized Kennedy for his apparent knack of sloppiness (e.g. often lumpy, bouncy, and stretchy movements) on the shows he and his company worked on when compared to StarToons (who also worked on "Tiny Toons").

*Mike Scully - Mike Scully was the show runner for "The Simpsons" from 1997-2001. During the time he was the show runner or exectutive producer, there was an seemingly increased usage of celebrity guest voices, more reliance on slapstick and lowbrow humor, and the characters became more one-dimensional. In addition, many episodes during this period centered around Homer, who was seemingly portrayed as being very mean-spirited.

*Carl Macek - Macek was the producer and story editor of "Robotech" (which was originally made up of three unrelated anime). Fans of anime have criticized Macek (who has been dubbed "The Antichrist" on usernet forums) for changing the dialogue in order to remove what he called "ethnic gestures". Also, Macek has been heavily criticized for the major, and some fans argue, pointless changes to the dubbing of "Aura Battler Dunbine".

*Leon Schlesinger - Schlesinger's independent animation studio would eventually become Warner Bros. Cartoons. Schlesigner had a reputation for being a very hard-nosed business man. His animators worked in a dilapidated studio, and he briefly shut down the studio in 1941 and 1942 when unionized employees demanded a pay raise. Also, animators who worked with him also found him conceited and somewhat foppish, wearing too much cologne and dressing like a dandy.

*Fred Quimby - Quimby was the producer in charge of the old Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer cartoon studio. Quimby was very unliked by those who worked with him. He apparently had no sense of humor to call upon (ironic considering that his studio produced the "Tom and Jerry" cartoons). He also apparently knew nothing about animation, as cartoons were a strange thing to him. Quimby was also known to turn down requests for bigger budgets, raises and special dispensations of funds.

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Sat May 17, 2008 1:19 pm

That is a MOST DETAILED LIST... I can add my OWN opinion(s) if I may... I agree with your list...and I just may ADD a few that you might agree with ... one of the MOST HATED animators in the industry was PAUL TERRY... legendarily cheap and all that... always washed and reused cels from other shorts to save money because the work on the cel was already USED ... he didn't really consider it unique as an art piece... also, most Mighty Mouse shorts were completed in half the time that a typical short would take... saving the budget, but making the animators work much harder to get the deadline done....this is mostly why many of Mighty's stories were pretty much the same....while on the TERRYTOONS subject, another guy who gets a bum rap most of the time, is RALPH BAKSHI... started at TERRYTOONS and produced the last thing the studio truly released --INCIDENTALLY, IT'S ONE OF THE SHOWS THAT MADE ME WANT TO BECOME A CARTOONIST) --THE MIGHTY HEROES! -- he did a WONDERFUL JOB with a very limited budget ...but it's what he did AFTER Terrytoons that he gets chopped up for... Ralph's use of ROTOSCOPING and live action actors in some of his backgrounds in his films from the 70's gave him the rep of a HACK ANIMATOR.... he is indeed NOT a HACK, and a VERY TALENTED ARTIST... I for one am looking forward to seeing ANY footage from his next project 'THE LAST DAYS OF CONEY ISLAND" -----AS FOR 'STARTOONS" ....they did a WONDERFUL job working on TINY TOONS and they DID get other work BECAUSE of it..... a very talented and enthusiastic batch of artists......yes...from AMERICA. --COLORADO SPRINGS if I remember correctly. --Bob Camp truly DID NOT WANT TO DIS JOHN K....but he DID go onto do the REN AND STIMPY SHOW and another show for Gaumont that Fox ran for a season....basically because he wanted to feed his family, stay in the business, and perhaps make a name for himself as a director. He shouldn't be touted as a traitor. --minkwheel
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?