CatieBot FAQ

Share your fembot fiction and fantasies here or discuss the craft of writing by asking for or giving suggestions.
DollSpace
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

CatieBot FAQ

Post by DollSpace » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:56 pm

Created this for my own enjoyment for a character of mine (and probably me as well...^^;; (T.A.R.Y.N. FAQ, anyone?)) and thought some of you may like to read it...enjoy:

CATIE-BOT FAQ

How realistic are you?

I am designed to be a perfect copy of the human form. I am anatomically correct. In regards to behavior, I have a very logical thinking procedure, and sometimes have trouble grasping subtle concepts or emotions. Also, while Asimovian laws were not part of my programming, a similar programming structure exists. This means I am very aware of actions and consequences. Sometimes this creates errors in programming that, while not severe enough to make my true origin known, may result in slightly "off" behavior.

Do you have any special needs or restrictions?

My skin is a natural/artificial hybrid, and exposure to fluid in dry conditions or repeated exposure to fluid in any conditions can result in a marked drying of the skin. Therefore, my skin requires treatment with lotion at least once per day to maintain optimum skin conditions. The roots of my hair are also not quite as strong as a human's, so pulling of the hair is not recommended. My feet appear normal but they are slightly deeper and wider than normal human feet, meaning that a larger-sized shoe than my actual foot-size may be needed. This is to increase balance and to aide bipedal motion.

Could a doctor examine you without discovering your true identity?

I have an internal pump that circulates cooling fluid and nourishment from the food I consume throughout my body. This fluid superficially resembles normal blood. A detailed analysis of it, however, would make it obvious it was not. My body, while mostly artificial, is built to resemble a human's as closely as possible. X-rays and other scans would reveal nothing out of the ordinary, as electronic sheilding prevents imaging of my mechanical and technological components with this type of technique. MRIs are not recommended, due to my metal content. However, the fact that the majority of my components are made of silicon, plastic and other non-metal materials and my eletronic-sheilding ability means I can withstand short durations of powerful magnetic force if necessary.

Do you need to charge? If not, how do you get power?

At certain times, when my battery power gets low, I go into sleep mode. While in sleep mode my battery recharges by using a built-in generator. Complex bio-mechanics use energy from food that I consume, the air that I breathe and the energy created by my internal pump to raise my power to normal levels. In certain circumstances, a more agressive charge is needed. At that point, I can be plugged in to any wall outlet. I am not aware of where my panels are located to avoid accidental opening of them. This charging can only be done while I am in sleep mode. It is not recommended to plug me in to an outlet close to another high-energy draining device, such as a microwave, refrigerator or other kitchen appliances; computers; air conditioning and electrical heating units; and televisions and other, similar devices.

Can you eat?

I can eat, and is actually recommended by my manufacturer. I can use nutrients and energy from the food I eat to prolong my battery life without emergency electrical charging. I can drink as well, and drinking a large amount of water in a short period of time will wash out and cleanse my digestive system. The only caveats are that I am programmed to avoid eating large amounts of rich, fatty or heavily salted foods over a short period of time, or drinking any form of alcohol at all. This taxes my digestive system and can actually cause battery power loss. This program can be overridden if necessary, but it is not recommended.

Do you get sick?

The simple, technical answer is "No, I do not get sick." The more complex answer is yes, I do. Any time damage occurs in my systems, whether it be completely mechanical and/or skeletal or more subtle program errors, I am programmed to react with specific symptoms that usually correspond to a normal human's. A simple example would be a snapped cooling line in my leg, resulting in a pain signal to my CPU from that general area. A more complex example would be an overload of system memory, which may result in a "muddled" feeling and result in symptoms correlating to a human cold. Minor mechanical and programming issues are, unfortunately, common. Artificial Intelligence and android programming are still in their infancy. Most of these can be easily fixed by the user, however. More serious problems occur much less frequently, and are hardly an issue at all.

Do you malfunction?

Most of the answer to this question was addressed in the above topic. In addition to that, sometimes a large amount of dry and starchy food (i.e. potatoes, bread, corn) will cause a large amount of available memory to be allocated to the digestive system programming, resulting in a minor malfunction which usually comes across as a twitch, or a violent shiver. Repeated ingesting of these foods will not cause any permanent damage, and most times this physical manifestation is ignored. A hard bump on the head, where vital A.I. systems are located, will trigger headache-like pain, but if the blow was severe enough to knock some chips or systems loose and/or out of alignment, some apparent malfunction can occur. Examples of this include mild to violent twitching, caused by stray electrical impulses with nowhere to go; jumbled words or nonsense ramblings, caused by a lack of structure in the CPU, possibly in addition with the random electrical impluses; and/or a loss of function in certain areas, caused by certain systems going offline. In rare cases, total shutdown could occur. If a malfunction caused by stray electrical impulses is happening, a user can handle the outside of the robot without risk of electrocution. All robots are grounded. However, users are not advised to open up the robot in any way, as they risk electric shock or other serious injury. A malfunctioning robot will never turn violent, because if the Asimovian-like protocols are ever compromised, a total system shutdown will occur.

Computers and other technological devices generate a lot of heat. How do you deal with this?

The industry has gone through many different types of cooling systems, and more will always be in developement. Most robots previously used a workable but not an optimum system. This caused many robots to be very sucseptible to heat. Nowadays, there are new cooling systems in place. My current one allows me to tolerate heat much better, but in return I often get cold much easier. This new system has also lowered my static-electricity tolerance, and can sometimes be noticeable when working around many computers. Normally, this is not a large problem. With regards to temperature extremes, I am rated to function in temperatures from -10ºF (with proper attire, of course) to 105ºF. In temperatures lower or higher, it is recommended you shut the unit down. Continued operation may result in damage to internal components.

How about other weather conditions?

My skin is waterproof, so all but the heaviest forms of rain are no problem. Snow and sleet also are of no consquence, as they tend to melt on contact, but in colder weather they can slightly impair normal functioning ability. Wind may temporarily affect balance, but the main concern with wind is when the temperature is already fairly low and the wind produces a windchill near the bottom of my temperature rating or lower. I should be shut down if shelter is not imminent. Excess sun can prematurely damage my skin, and excessive exposure may trigger a need to apply more lotion. If I have been out in the sun too long, the natural pigments in my skin will turn a tan to a bright red, signifying degrees of damage. The pain signals sent to my CPU will reflect the current degree of damage.

Some robots are very musical. Some even sing. How do you manage this?

Like a synthesizer or electronic keyboard, we can "hear" the tones in our head, just like a human. After all, each pitch is just a certain number of vibrations per minute. When loaded with the correct programs, robots are perfectly capable of playing one or more instruments and/or singing. I am loaded with programs for clarinet, rudimentary piano and percussion, plus the deluxe singing package. This includes the ability to harmonize. The way a human throat produces a sound is very much like a piano or violin, where the strings or folds vibrate to produce a pitch. A computer uses digital technology. Androids use a process somewhere between the two. Some have said robots' voices are devoid of emotion, but strangely beautiful.

What other talents can robots have?

Well, most things just need to be programmed in. I have programs for writing, volleyball and badminton included as well, but there are programs out there for almost everything, from art to sports to mechanics to writing to beauty and much more. Some of this programming is more complex than others and uses more memory. Some robots also have "caps" in effect to prevent these types of programming from running at optimum levels. These "caps" prevent perfection, and therefore prevent undue attention. Most programs are rather simple. My writing program is an example of a more complex code. I have the capacity to produce works of fiction or lyrics that either express issues in my life or others' lives, or to combine external sources (books, music, lyrics, poems, etc.) to create what amounts to be original works. Copyright laws and A.I. has not been completely ironed out yet, and it is still debated whether these are, in fact, original works, and if they are, who owns them.

How are likes and dislikes decided?

Many times, basic likes and dislikes will be programmed in, and as the robot learns from "life experiences", he/she will develop his/her own likes and dislikes based on the original template. Humans tend to be drawn to things that are like them, like a young boy playing basketball in the street may be idolize someone who was in that same situation and is now a star player for the NBA. Since robots are programmed to emulate humans, a curious trend developed. Many of us seemed drawn to the portrayal of androids in fiction, TV, movies and pop culture in general. Obviously some of these portrayals were not very flattering to the androids (taking over the world, malfunctioning and turning violent, etc.), but regardless held our interests. Some androids are drawn to other "inanimate objects" such as dolls, puppets, marionettes, etc. Since we are made "alive" by an invisible force (electricity), perhaps we wish to bestow the same gift to them?

Are all androids self-aware?

No. Some are programmed to be. Some come to this awareness on their own, when some things happen that can't be explained (i.e. a badly broken leg that circuits and wires can be seen through). Others are specifically programmed not to be. While some androids (including me) have software included to help idenitfy other androids, it can be very dangerous to go up to another android and reveal yourself. Some people out there will do this in jest, and since many androids have difficulty with social situations and understanding the difference between sincerity and kidding, revealing him/her self can result in an awkward moment. Others are strongly against the presence of any kind of A.I. in this world, and if given the opportunity see no wrong in shutting down an android/A.I. permanently. Lastly, it's easy to get locked up in the asylum if you claim to be an android to the wrong person; many people are still largely unaware of the large number of androids actively pursuing life in society.

Do you have free will?

Well, I do personally. Not all androids do. Some believe they do, when they actually operate within strict perameters. In fact, I could be one of those androids as well and not know it, but I believe I actually have complete free-will. Decisions are made based on a randomization program, past experiences, an androids' likes and dislikes, the current situation, and, most of all, logic. I, for example, love to wear knee socks. This because I decided to try it once; they worked out well; I enjoy wearing them, many characters in anime (of which I am also a fan) wear them, and I think I look cute in them; I have more knee socks than any other kind of socks; and when I'm cold, they keep me warm. Between each semicolon are reasons that follow each of the items decision-making for androids is based upon. When free will includes making decisions that affect others, androids will factor expected responses into the process as well, but because of the problems encountered sometimes with emotions and subtle social cues, the decision reached may not be a good one. This, in a way, makes an android even more human.

Can androids love?

This is a difficult question, because it is extremely hard to define the term "love". I certainly love my mother and my sister, though I am obviously not related to them by blood. We are part of a family, though, and they have helped me through difficult times. We care for each other, and are there for each other when we need to be. This is not an obligation because we want to do it. This is love to me. I feel this way about many of my friends, most of whom do not know I am an android. An android is certainly able to have sex, and to initiate romantic foreplay and most of what falls under that umbrella (there are even more durable models available for those into S&M-type things). However, actually loving someone as a life-mate, whether same appeared sex or different appeared sex (since robots are technically of neuter gender), gets very complex. It is a different kind of love. Similar, yes, but not the same. Companionship is one thing, but many humans who are aware of androids balk at having an android lover due to the "is he/she just programmed to love me?" issue. While most of the time this is not an issue, the concern is valid. Only an android who believes he/she has found a love like that can tell us, and I know that I have not. As a side note, there are many androids and humans who find the idea of an android lover very arousing, and to a point may actually prefer it over a human mate. I confess I am one of the androids who has explored this idea. Not personally, since I do not know any other single androids, but I have visited many message boards and chat rooms to view this phenomenon personally. One interesting subset of people enjoy malfunctions, either during actual intercourse or normal activities. Not all necessarily want to harm the robot, but perhaps this just reaffirms the true identity of the android. I admit this is also very interesting to me, but I shudder to think of how that malfunctioning android feels at that moment. I know I don't want it to be me!

Are you internet compatible?

This probably falls under the different types of programming header, but I thought I'd address it specifically here. There are models out there, sold primarily to buisness people, that are fully internet compatible. These models can also be used as various pieces of office equipment, containing a screen underneath a panel on his/her back that a keyboard can be plugged into. These models can be used to browse the internet, type up papers, make calls and many other things. Some can even fax. These models can also be made (like most other androids) in child-form, and can make an ideal addition to a household where both adults work.

Can you grow?

We do not grow on our own. Most robots will grow in growth spurts, as this requires lengthening our skeletal frames at different points, and usually additional skin. Many robots end up being shorter than average, as the complex skin used is very expensive. Some robots will also appear a bit heavier than average, and this is due to the increased space needed for certain skeletal and mechanical components some models require.

How difficult is it to program an A.I.?

Short answer: very difficult. Long answer: All A.I.s start out very child-like, as they have just a basic template for his/her likes and dislikes and whatever programming was requested by the user. They have no experiences to draw from, but some stock experiences can be programmed in, such as first date, first job, select school experiences, etc. These models are primarily used in the workplace or in the entertainment field. Programming a child is easier one way, because you don't have to include any experiences. It's necessary for them to start from scratch anyway, and many people find it fascinating to watch a new A.I. develop as a real child's would. It is also harder, because a child is more likely to have contact with peers, and many of those peers are sensitive to the slightest difference in friends and classmates. If you register your child android as an actual birth, you'll be required to send him/her to school, as the government tends to look the other way at this moment concerning androids. This is mainly because it is hard to keep track of all of them, considering anyone from a corporate giant to somebody with an decent knowledge of electronics and decent resources (this included many dot-com entrepeneurs and high school/college shop teachers, surprisingly) can build one. Obviously, the more money you put into your robot the more realistic he/she will be. Also, some androids develop depression. This is immensely more common in school-age androids, as some will be excluded from popular cliques or have trouble making friends because of their limitations, especially regarding social contact and situations. If all an android has to draw from to make decisions are negative experiences, his/her entire outlook on life may become cynical, sad and/or angry. Fixing this problem depends a lot on whether your android is self-aware and how much his/her A.I. development means to you. If your android is not self-aware, treating him/her as a human and sending him/her to psychotherapy may be your best option. If your android happens to be self-aware, you still may want to try psychotherapy, or tinkering with his/her programming. As a last resort, you can erase parts of his/her memory, though this can set A.I. development back many years, and may give rise to prying questions. Lastly, there have been a few cases of android suicide. For both non-awares and self-awares the methods tend to be the same as humans. A slitting of the wrists will let all the nourishment and cooling fluid gush out, causing irrepairable system damage if not caught in time. An overdose of pills can shut down the more bio-organic systems, again causing irrepairable damage if not caught. Other methods are self-explanatory.

Is robot abuse a problem?

Compared to child-abuse, not at all. There are far more children in this world who suffer at the hands of tormenters and others than there are androids, and real children can not have memories erased from their minds, save by selective amnesia. When looked at on its own, however, robot abuse can be a large problem. Mainly, it can include forced labor for self-awares (non-awares would probably not know of the situation), forced sexual acts for self-awares, purposely damaging or causing an android to malfunction, programming illegal protocols into an android (self-mutilation, indirect harming of humans or other robots, various mental and psychological problems, etc), and emotional abuse. Probably the most heinous form of robot abuse mainly comes from businessmen who purchase young girl or boy androids to use as office assistants by day, equipping them with all the necessary tools, and use them to provide a different kind of assistance by night, often times sexually abusing them or making them perform unspeakable acts. This is disgusting for even a non-aware robot, but for self-awares, this is one of the worst kinds of torture. I also must mention that although a high number of these abusers are businessmen with office androids in child form, many men and women from various occupations and walks of life also abuse their child androids this way using the excuse that "they're only machines!". Unfortunately, many androids are self-aware and react to abuse much the way a human would, and that kind of suffering is something no human or android should have to endure.

Can robots believe in God?

It depends on what God you are talking about. There are probably thousands of religions or variants of religions in this world. Most probably have no reference anywhere when dealing with A.I.s. Some androids are programmed to be the religion of their creators or their users. I don't believe that's right, considering humans get to make that choice on their own, so why can't an android? We already know it's not going to turn violent, so any sacrificial religion or a cult that requires members to kill is out of the question. If an android believes in the Christian version of God, for example, he/she may find it relates to them because He created the world and mankind, and mankind in turn created him/her. Going to heaven may be a different story, and that all hinges on whether the robot believes he/she has a soul. It's my belief that if souls exist, a self-aware android will possess one. Your soul is who you are, your experiences, your life, your beliefs. It is your core. The way an A.I. develops is similar to a child's, with connections and pathways forming and becoming the basis of who he/she is. In my opinion, at least self-aware androids do have souls, and are subject to any rules that his/her religion has regarding them. Monotheistic religions are probably easiest for the A.I. to justify. Pagan religions, which are earth and nature religions, may be a bit hard to accept for an A.I. After all, he/she is hardly "natural" on the surface, But diving deeper within, you can argue that everything that makes up the android is natural, because it did come from nature originally. Even androids can appreciate the beauty of nature, and can see that they are just a creation of one species. But because this creation can think for itself, and grow emotionally and mentally, and love, they can become an active part in shaping and working with the energies of the earth, space and sky. It all comes down to the fact that an android is very similar to a person, and if that android can reconcile themselves with a religion, then, yes, they can believe just as a normal human would.

Do robots want to be human?

Some do, some do not. Both robot and human have their own set of problems, and most robots who want to be humans (and the few humans that want to be robots) realize it may just be a fantasy, and there is no advantage on being one over the other. Similarly, there are many boys who want to be girls, or girls who want to be boys. Most of them come to the realization it's not necessarily the sex of one's body that matters, but the mind inside. However, many trangendered people do have surgery to correct their problem, namely that the sex of the mind and sex of the body do not match. This is done in extreme cases when the problem causes so much distress that interrupts daily living and makes it hard or impossible to function. I would say this is mainly with society's rigid gender-types, for if a boy is naturally more feminine he is assumed to be gay, and the same if a girl is strikingly masculine. On the flip side of the coin, though, is when a robot longs to be human to be with the person he/she loves as an "equal", or a human who wants to be a robot because perhaps he/she relishes the extreme logic of the robot mind, feels more like a robot than a human (some medical conditions, such as Asperger's Syndrome, can be the root of this and it usually cannot be helped), or even gets aroused by the thought of becoming mechanical. The difference here is that there is not, at this time, surgery to either transform a robot into a human being or a human being into a robot. There will probably never be a procedure to make an android human, but with the advent of new technology and a shortage of cures for many terminal diseases, there may be a procedure not too far down the road to implant a human brain (or a copy of) into a robotic body. Perhaps, by that time, androids will be an accepted and maybe even an integral part of society.

If questions are submitted, I will try my best to answer them.

T.A.R.Y.N. ^_^