Power Switch Location

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
Bilbo1
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Power Switch Location

Post by Bilbo1 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:55 am

Hi folks,
Got a question for you all; In an ideal world, where do you think the best place would be to locate a fembot's on/off switch?

I like the idea of base of the skull at the back of the head but what do the rest of you think?

mister_minations

Re: Power Switch Location

Post by mister_minations » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:32 am

Brytestar

Post by Brytestar » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm

Bilbo1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:55 am Hi folks,
Got a question for you all; In an ideal world, where do you think the best place would be to locate a fembot's on/off switch?

I like the idea of base of the skull at the back of the head but what do the rest of you think?
This might not be the BEST place but I’ve seen it placed below the base of the neck to upper back but recessed.
Sometimes you just gotta look at the Bryte side!

Bilbo1

Post by Bilbo1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:39 am

Brytestar wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm
Bilbo1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:55 am Hi folks,

This might not be the BEST place but I’ve seen it placed below the base of the neck to upper back but recessed.
At last, thanks Brytestar for a more interesting reply.. I've seen some located under the arm.

BA2

Post by BA2 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:02 am

Good question, one I’ve spent far too long pondering over the years! My preferences are:

No1 - Behind the left ear. A switch or stud set into the skull here is discrete but easily accessible and has a firm mounting base. Left side as standard so as to be convenient for the right handed majority of… users. Turning your lady off is as easy as a sweet caress! I can’t decide if this should be a soft shut-down, pause/standby or a safe mode control; if the fembot should freeze, stand in command posture, become totally compliant, go limp etc… A simple freeze button would be problematic in most real world situations, possibly the easily accessible ‘go-to’ control would simply take control so you could access more nuanced controls.

No2 - Chest control panel. Upper chest is an area which offers relatively convenient and PG access and a fairly stable mounting base. Depending on the model this could be either be exposed or normally covered, either perfectly or with some surface sign. The user interface could be mechanical switches/buttons, touch screen or a skin based haptic pad; data ports too… This would offer a greater degree of control than a simple ‘off switch’; function modes, programming options, opening other access etc. I imagine there would be a shut-down control in there and possible a hard power switch. For story purposes this does lack the immediacy of No1, above, so perhaps a behind the ear stud simply places the fembot into a passive mode so you can unbutton her blouse and access her controls at leisure…

No3 - Hard linked tablet or laptop. Kind of goes with the open access panel mostly. Simply swipe through the menu to select a hard shutdown. Of course she’ll have had to let you plug her in first, willingly or otherwise…

No4 - Remote control. Great story shortcut to show she’s an ‘appliance’. Practical in some circumstances but not for a fembot functioning in society… who has her remote, her owner/partner? What if her boss needs to install some updates or she malfunctions on the bus…? There will still need to be some sort of hard switch built in for emergencies. I see a remote placing the fembot into a passive mode rather than a hard shutdown, if my TV collapsed to the floor every time I turned it off I would soon become annoyed…

No5 - Voice control. I suspect this is the most realistic option for tech as sophisticated as our kind of fembot but not always the most conducive to a good story and definitely GINO for images! This could range from a unit that is simply well programmed to comply and understands what instructions she should follow from who to a designated command phrase which overrides her self will.

No6 - Docking station. This could be a dedicated techno-dungeon fembot-frame in her bedroom closet, a discrete ASU in her luggage or a couple of discrete but slightly uncomfortable metal studs on her office chair back. When she is clamped in / hooks up / sits down a controlling maintenance system can trigger a shutdown command until next required. Docking could be quite invasive and would be more likely to access the fembot’s back as opposed to controls for human users.

No7 - Probe. Sticking a long probe deep into the right place to trigger a shutdown makes sense and can be quite sudden and dramatic (possibly more so if you stick it in the wrong place..!) I’m thinking sternum, belly, solar plexus, behind the ear… in the ear is an obvious good option that has been used well in several stories. Possibly stick it in making her very surprised for a moment then twist it to shut her off…

Other physical control or power options tend to leave me sceptical… belly button makes some sense from a story and image point of view but doesn’t seem very practical from an engineering perspective. A spine control, even recessed, runs a risk being bumped in normal life. An… internal… control (one of the 3 obvious places!) makes some sense for highly realistic units but from a writer’s perspective how do you get at it if she doesn’t want you to? Maybe that could be the point of the design I suppose…

I am rambling, should probably write something.

jolshefsky
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by jolshefsky » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 am

I always thought it practical to have it on the side of the ribcage, under the left arm typically, like the Soong androids from Star Trek (e.g. Data) or the charging cables from Äkta människor ("Real Humans"). That makes it hard to hit accidentally, but easy to access otherwise.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky

BA2

Post by BA2 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:43 am

Good point, I forgot about that one… that’s where I usually put a charging port so power switch goes nicely with that.

Bilbo1

Post by Bilbo1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:05 pm

BA2 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:43 am Good point, I forgot about that one… that’s where I usually put a charging port so power switch goes nicely with that.
This location would work well, both practically and from a story/image point of view. The point of this discussion was what other's thoughts were, I've seen tv and films place the hard on/off switch under the skin and in a dedicated panel. Who remembers the Spanish space comedy series where the fembot's power switch was on her right breast? Great for visual impact but hardly practical when 'enjoying' your mechanical lady....So far, BA's given some great reasons, both from an image/story point of view as well as from a practical 'operational' perspective. If anybody's got any more ideas, let's hear them please.

N6688
Identification: Android

Post by N6688 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:55 pm

A button inside the ear or in the belly button.
"Robot wives have needs, too"
Goku, Dragonball fighterZ 2017

txsailor47

Post by txsailor47 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:16 pm

I have often thought that as robots begin to proliferate that some people will push back and not want robots. I could see a compromise where all robots are required to have a power switch visible at the base of the throat while in public. This would serve two purposes, one to alert someone that they were dealing with a robot and two the comfort of know that you could shut it down if you felt necessary. Of course, shutting one down just because you didn't like them would carry legal consequences as well.

N6688

Post by N6688 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:58 am

txsailor47 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:16 pm I have often thought that as robots begin to proliferate that some people will push back and not want robots. I could see a compromise where all robots are required to have a power switch visible at the base of the throat while in public. This would serve two purposes, one to alert someone that they were dealing with a robot and two the comfort of know that you could shut it down if you felt necessary. Of course, shutting one down just because you didn't like them would carry legal consequences as well.
Interesting point.
We have seen this being adressed in tv shows like Äkta Människor and games like Detroit become human.
Where androids were required by law to visibly show that they were robots.
Äkta Människor did it with fake looking hair and eye colours.
And ofcource the USB port in the back of the neck.
And in Dbh they used android specific clothing and an led marker at the side of the head.

Personally while i think visual markers like this would be neccesary i do think that a visible switch that can be accessed by everyone would be going too far.
What if the android in question is getting life neccesary medication for her elderly owner
and some teenager in the name of "harmless fun" just switches the android off ending up with the owner's death as a result?

Only the owner and propper authorities (like the police) should have the ability to forcefully deactivate androids in my eyes.
Last edited by N6688 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bilbo1

Post by Bilbo1 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:36 am

@N6688 ''Only the owner and propper authorities (like the police) should have the ability to forcefully deactivate androids in my eyes.''

I completely agree, the registered owner/user, emergency authorities and manufacturer authorised technicians should be the only individuals able to force a hard shut down. :applause:

txsailor47

Post by txsailor47 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 am

N6688 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:58 am Only the owner and propper authorities (like the police) should have the ability to forcefully deactivate androids in my eyes.
I think you have a valid point here. As these become a reality and are introduced into society, we will have to see how the general public reacts to having these units around, everywhere. Paranoia does seem to reign supreme in society today. I think this would ultimately depend on a lot of factors. If there is widespread concern (whether warranted or not) about a unit malfunctioning and hurting someone then there may be pressure to have the ability to "disarm" any robot as necessary. Waiting for the proper authorities may not be acceptable in the public eye.

I do like the markers such as eye color, light on the side of the head or some of the other indicators you listed though as well.

Time will tell what society will accept. People that are into the current Love Doll hobby are seeing a lot of push back from society to the point there is some concern they may be outlawed altogether. So how the public responds to fembots mainly used for companionship and sex will be interesting to see. My guess is that they will be welcomed little better than sex dolls.

N6688

Post by N6688 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am

txsailor47 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 am I think you have a valid point here. As these become a reality and are introduced into society, we will have to see how the general public reacts to having these units around, everywhere. Paranoia does seem to reign supreme in society today. I think this would ultimately depend on a lot of factors. If there is widespread concern (whether warranted or not) about a unit malfunctioning and hurting someone then there may be pressure to have the ability to "disarm" any robot as necessary. Waiting for the proper authorities may not be acceptable in the public eye.
Can i ask from which nation you hail from because , and please don't take this the wrong way, but that seems a verry american mindset.
If an android goes beserk i would just run away, getting yourself involved in such a dangerous situation seems like a verry bad idea to me even if another's life is at stake.

txsailor47 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 amTime will tell what society will accept. People that are into the current Love Doll hobby are seeing a lot of push back from society to the point there is some concern they may be outlawed altogether.

Personally i doubt we will see this happen over here in the west.
Maybe tough in in more authoritarian nations like china maybe but i doubt that that will happen over here.
Altough........ with the US these days, i can understand your doubts about that.
txsailor47 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:12 am So how the public responds to fembots mainly used for companionship and sex will be interesting to see. My guess is that they will be welcomed little better than sex dolls.
Well corporations will obviously downplay the "sex" part of the unit.
They will advertise it as an appliance that could help with menial tasks like cleaning, cooking, babysitting, etc, etc.
In the fineprint they will probably mention that it has sexual capabillities as well that can be only unlocked after uttering a code.

PS
Personally i never realy am into realdolls because:
1) They are just dolls, not robots.
2) they are REALY expensive

But i do have to admit that i wish i could buy one of those new robotic heads that they sell with the dolls seperately
Because it would be kinda funny to me to have one of those heads act like a Siri/Alexa speaker in my room. :lol:

I think realdoll realy missed a hole in their market.
Here they are making lovedolls and the guy in charge didn't even think about making one model that is more scifi/robot theme related.
Imagine if they would sell a model with fake access panels you can interact with (connect with a tablet or replace parts) or a more android themed head.

They would make gang busters.
Hell ,even i would be tempted.
I mean, they sell models that are fantasy related

But not one android themed one?

CheeseMaker

Post by CheeseMaker » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:11 am

BA2 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:02 am Good question, one I’ve spent far too long pondering over the years! My preferences are:

No1 - Behind the left ear. A switch or stud set into the skull here is discrete but easily accessible and has a firm mounting base. Left side as standard so as to be convenient for the right handed majority of… users. Turning your lady off is as easy as a sweet caress! I can’t decide if this should be a soft shut-down, pause/standby or a safe mode control; if the fembot should freeze, stand in command posture, become totally compliant, go limp etc… A simple freeze button would be problematic in most real world situations, possibly the easily accessible ‘go-to’ control would simply take control so you could access more nuanced controls.

No2 - Chest control panel. Upper chest is an area which offers relatively convenient and PG access and a fairly stable mounting base. Depending on the model this could be either be exposed or normally covered, either perfectly or with some surface sign. The user interface could be mechanical switches/buttons, touch screen or a skin based haptic pad; data ports too… This would offer a greater degree of control than a simple ‘off switch’; function modes, programming options, opening other access etc. I imagine there would be a shut-down control in there and possible a hard power switch. For story purposes this does lack the immediacy of No1, above, so perhaps a behind the ear stud simply places the fembot into a passive mode so you can unbutton her blouse and access her controls at leisure…

No3 - Hard linked tablet or laptop. Kind of goes with the open access panel mostly. Simply swipe through the menu to select a hard shutdown. Of course she’ll have had to let you plug her in first, willingly or otherwise…

No4 - Remote control. Great story shortcut to show she’s an ‘appliance’. Practical in some circumstances but not for a fembot functioning in society… who has her remote, her owner/partner? What if her boss needs to install some updates or she malfunctions on the bus…? There will still need to be some sort of hard switch built in for emergencies. I see a remote placing the fembot into a passive mode rather than a hard shutdown, if my TV collapsed to the floor every time I turned it off I would soon become annoyed…

No5 - Voice control. I suspect this is the most realistic option for tech as sophisticated as our kind of fembot but not always the most conducive to a good story and definitely GINO for images! This could range from a unit that is simply well programmed to comply and understands what instructions she should follow from who to a designated command phrase which overrides her self will.

No6 - Docking station. This could be a dedicated techno-dungeon fembot-frame in her bedroom closet, a discrete ASU in her luggage or a couple of discrete but slightly uncomfortable metal studs on her office chair back. When she is clamped in / hooks up / sits down a controlling maintenance system can trigger a shutdown command until next required. Docking could be quite invasive and would be more likely to access the fembot’s back as opposed to controls for human users.

No7 - Probe. Sticking a long probe deep into the right place to trigger a shutdown makes sense and can be quite sudden and dramatic (possibly more so if you stick it in the wrong place..!) I’m thinking sternum, belly, solar plexus, behind the ear… in the ear is an obvious good option that has been used well in several stories. Possibly stick it in making her very surprised for a moment then twist it to shut her off…

Other physical control or power options tend to leave me sceptical… belly button makes some sense from a story and image point of view but doesn’t seem very practical from an engineering perspective. A spine control, even recessed, runs a risk being bumped in normal life. An… internal… control (one of the 3 obvious places!) makes some sense for highly realistic units but from a writer’s perspective how do you get at it if she doesn’t want you to? Maybe that could be the point of the design I suppose…

I am rambling, should probably write something.
Yes to almost all of these. Personally though, If I were to be practical, It would be either probe to ear, wireless remote or Plugging a device to an open port (For me it would be at the nape) and then switching them off from there.

If my years of practical knowledge in networking and diddling with real hardware taught me, is that usually the hardware itself has firewalls or protocols to block foreign or unknown objects from accessing their system. So I can see robots only being controlled/shutdown with one designated remote and cant be accessed by none other.

Of course there is with hidden buttons on Fembots being applicable as well. But I'd probably see them being used only for the public, like for shows or brothels

txsailor47

Post by txsailor47 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:01 am

N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am Can i ask from which nation you hail from because , and please don't take this the wrong way, but that seems a verry american mindset.
If an android goes beserk i would just run away, getting yourself involved in such a dangerous situation seems like a verry bad idea to me even if another's life is at stake.

Maybe tough in in more authoritarian nations like china maybe but i doubt that that will happen over here. Altough........ with the US these days, i can understand your doubts about that.
Yes, I am from the US. But there are some states that have passed very restrictive laws concerning dolls.

N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am Well corporations will obviously downplay the "sex" part of the unit.
They will advertise it as an appliance that could help with menial tasks like cleaning, cooking, babysitting, etc, etc.
In the fineprint they will probably mention that it has sexual capabillities as well that can be only unlocked after uttering a code.
I can envision sex robots being sold much in the same way as dolls are now, by companies on the internet pushing the sex aspect of the units. In fact there several doll manufacturers that are working hard on dolls that move more than just their head. They have the ability to do all the thrusting, only in limited positions at this point though.
N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am PS
Personally i never realy am into realdolls because:
1) They are just dolls, not robots.
2) they are REALY expensive
1) agreed they are just dolls, but having had a few they are quite immersive.
2) The price point for Chiinese made dolls has come way down. Dolls under $2000.00 are quite common and very realistic.
N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am But i do have to admit that i wish i could buy one of those new robotic heads that they sell with the dolls seperately
Because it would be kinda funny to me to have one of those heads act like a Siri/Alexa speaker in my room. :lol:
There are also Chinese made animated doll heads that copy the work by Realdoll, that are much less expensive.
N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 am I think realdoll realy missed a hole in their market.
Here they are making lovedolls and the guy in charge didn't even think about making one model that is more scifi/robot theme related.
Imagine if they would sell a model with fake access panels you can interact with (connect with a tablet or replace parts) or a more android themed head.
N6688 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:21 amThey would make gang busters.
Hell ,even i would be tempted.
I mean, they sell models that are fantasy related

But not one android themed one?
[/quote]

There have been some dolls made that are very much appealing to the fembot fetish. They have never gained wide popularity though. One company made on that was a very nice-looking doll, much in line with a lot of the art I have created over the years. I am not sure if it ever went into full production, but a very nice photo shoot was made.