Detail Overload?

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
Robo-Admirer
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Detail Overload?

Post by Robo-Admirer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 pm

After years of reading many different stories on the Fembotwiki and on here, I've come to a cross roads in regards to story telling.

So for some context, I learnt recently that the mind fills in gaps in our vision. Pure imagination for our 'blind spots' which we never even realise unless someone who's aware of it mentions it. And this is common on a daily basis.

Now, why bring this up? I've mentioned this because it shows us what reality is. Mostly real, partly imagined by our own mind. The details only exist when focused on either consciously, or silently imagined by our minds without us ever knowing it.

Which brings me to story telling. Many authors on here are extremely detail orientated. They allow the story to progress and advance through the telling of details; doing the work of the mind for us by filling in our 'blind spots'.

But, with all this detail driven styling, are we over doing it? Are we removing the freedom from our minds to fill in the gaps by telling it exactly what to think? Or is this method one that guides the mind and makes the story ever more real?

If the real world is filled with imagination from our mind, silently filling in 'blind spots' here and there, would reducing detail within a story improve the reality of it?

What are your thoughts on this? I honestly don't know which one is more accurate or real, hence why I'm asking for a discussion on this.

jolshefsky
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Re: Detail Overload?

Post by jolshefsky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:24 pm

I tend to lean on the side of minimalism for fetish storytelling. The point is to make something arousing, so in the few stories I've written, I try to chop out any unnecessary detail for two reasons. First is to expedite the reading, so for example, I'll omit all the details about a nightclub except to give it a name, leaving the reader to fill in whether it's a human nightclub, or one for robots, or both, or if it's packed, or empty ... none of that matters to the part I'm trying to tell. The second is to let the reader fill in their own fantasy, so I try to avoid any details about physical appearance unless it's part of the story, so I don't mention hair color or skin color (or if it's rubbery or metallic or hyper-realistic) or even if the characters are furry animals—whatever the reader is into, they'll just fill in the details.

All just opinion anyway, so to each their own.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky

--NightBattery--

Re: Detail Overload?

Post by --NightBattery-- » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:20 pm

I believe the information that is shared depends in grand part on the aim of the story (the goal of the writer).

So perhaps there is some element missing in the intention of the writer when we read it with a different mindset.

For example. I enjoy reading Jack Kerouac because I love how much it feels like a trippy drug-induced rich selfish teenager county road vacation to Mexico.

Like a bad pretentious 60 beatnik movie. And that is cause Jack kerouac is the precedent of that American subculture.

And it is the attention to small details that make it feel realistic rather than a fantasy of the author.

So maybe when a writer is doing something they are aiming for a mental experience we are not commonly submerged and the details are a mean to make us connect with the intention of the author.

The tone of an anime-inspired robot story is going to be very different from one happening in a spy setting or in a star trek ship.

Also ideally the erotic author is going to write the subtle things they enjoy rather than be generic in favor of bland readers.

for example, Hemmingway wrote mostly stories about war but he kinda always made high detail of the experience between man and woman to exemplify the world of emotions inside the masculine.

Hence people remember reading Hemmingway to feel how manly men feel feelings than whatever European conflict was covered.

Frankenstein makes people cry and Asimov inserts educative science facts when characters interact because he was a huge nerd.

So perhaps sometimes when an author covers certain elements that might be considered noise it is either because the story needs polishment or we are missing certain important details the author is trying to tell us subtly.

Ideally, an author won't let your mind wander too far from their own vision of their story.

And details or the lack of them should be an important tool to guide you around the scenario.

At least that's how I see it.