A Question Regarding Gluteal Composition for Puposes of Drawing

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
mister_minations
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

A Question Regarding Gluteal Composition for Puposes of Drawing

Post by mister_minations » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 pm

Where does the butt end and the leg start?

I've noticed that, in a lot of reference models, the butt, when viewed from the side, seems to be a protrusion from the upper thigh. However, when viewed from the back, it seems to be a separate region of muscle and fat tissue.

Ordinarily, because the issue can be ignored entirely when drawing organic humanoids, I wouldn't be bothered by this. However, I like drawing mechanical joints onto my fembot characters, and I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with how odd the area between the legs and hip is to properly articulate. There doesn't seem to be a way to properly illustrate that particular area without sacrificing something important.

I guess I just want to know where the buttocks are located. Are they part of the waist, or are they part of the leg?

Toastdroid
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Re: A Question Regarding Gluteal Composition for Puposes of Drawing

Post by Toastdroid » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 pm

It's easier to consider them along with the sides of the hips to be part of the leg. The muscles there are used to lift the legs and you can see them flex when someone does that.

If you were to do a robot with ball joints - as an example; the butt would basically be two balljoints connecting the legs to the torso.

--NightBattery--

Re: A Question Regarding Gluteal Composition for Puposes of Drawing

Post by --NightBattery-- » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 pm

Here hoping you have a big screen.

I find anatomy a fascinating topic.

the short answer is that the gluteus is a complex system of muscles, not just one, you have heard it before: gluteus Maximus, minimus, and medius among other smaller muscles for inner stability.
It is unique to humans and it has allowed us to become the champion mammal of endurance walking that lead us to expand all over the planet. No doubt our extended migratory tendencies made it evolve in the shape it is right now.

You can say it is part of the hip and it is part of the leg. It connects them both and without we cannot stand or walk or give strength to the core.

And then it has to be taken into account it has insulation of fat to make it cushion and soft. So not all butts are made equal. this information might save your life one day.

That the whole thing under normal proportions has the size of about two human heads for cheek, a bit less, a bit more. (never trust a diagram, trust pictures of naked people instead.)

It sticks on the hip bone chilling with the genitals and the inner thigh (abductor) muscle
ImageImage
Female hips tend to be wider than male and it has an effect on butts making it a bit larger in females. But you only need to go out there to see there is a lot of variations that don't follow these generalizations. with so many people these days, genes are a bit wack.

Many artist will make suggestions to visualize the butt

But I would say to not marry to a single method and try what is best for you without becoming fixed on one particular method.

For formulas tend to be terrible on imagination and take all the fun from it.

Try not to get frustrated. just make sure you like what you see.
ImageImageImageImage

but at the end the more complete our anatomical understanding is, and proportions the more accurate the butt can be made, if that is what you wish.
Also play with those parameters to make stuff that kicks em supernormal stimuli

And back to robots...

If you look at current robotics you will see that in fact a lot is being sacrificed for simple systems that have a lot of problems to move in a 3d environment.
ImageImage

This is because today robots are missing powerful brains, you see brains' main function is not actually thinking but to coordinate our movements. You might have already heard how certain types of sponge larva once they found a place to stay devour their brains for energy and start to become a brainless tissue colony.

It is not that we cannot make adequate servos. But without potent processing power, it is pointless to try to emulate exact human bipedal locomotion.

But just looking at Boston's dynamic and japan's robotic manifesto fills my heart with hope.

And last I would recommend look at what artists are imagining to solve the problems of joints.
lots of clever ideas that work well for flavor purposes.
Some rooted in fantasy, others from actual robot research, and some just muscles painted purple.

Image ImageImage

Regards.