Robot cliches

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
N6688
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Re: Robot cliches

Post by N6688 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Robotman wrote:What are some unimaginative and worn-out robot cliches that you're tired of seeing in films, videos and other art?

For me, it's the old "robots rebel" cliche. Especially when a fembot suddenly grabs a big kitchen knife and decides she has to kill her owner. :roll:
Saya wrote:- The very narrow ideas on how a fembot should look, namely the whole Barbie doll look or the "gorgeous white long-haired blonde super model" look.

Uhm............

(hides away Image i posted on the wiki years ago)
YEAH, yep, yep.
Hate that too
Yep
Yep

Yep
Yep
Yep

Seriously, mine would be the 45 degree angle arms, karate chopping motions, and walking around with stiff legs when an android mallfunctions.
Always disliked that.

PS
Also (and i know this will annoy some people, but sorry) speakers where mouths and troats are supposed to be when they tear a fembot's face off.
"Robot wives have needs, too"
Goku, Dragonball fighterZ 2017

tdlsn

Post by tdlsn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:54 pm

The very narrow ideas on how a fembot should look, namely the whole Barbie doll look or the "gorgeous white long-haired blonde super model" look.
Wow,couldn't agree more. Don't know for sure,but this thread may lead to some changes. :-o

smalk
Identification: Human

Post by smalk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 am

For me, it's the "I'm a robot, I'm a machine, so I must be perfect in everything".

Give AI-conscience to a car, it will not start thinking that his speed is infinite, but it will know its rated speed.

Rob_The_Fixer

Post by Rob_The_Fixer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:24 am

Robotman wrote:For me, it's the old "robots rebel" cliche. Especially when a fembot suddenly grabs a big kitchen knife and decides she has to kill her owner. :roll:
N6688 wrote:Seriously, mine would be the 45 degree angle arms, karate chopping motions, and walking around with stiff legs when an android mallfunctions.
Always disliked that.

PS
Also (and i know this will annoy some people, but sorry) speakers where mouths and troats are supposed to be when they tear a fembot's face off.
I second these, especially the last one. After seeing what Actroid and DSDoll can perform, I'm more used to see it on a practical side

In the immortal words of Dewey...

I still kinda like the last two, I just think they're old fashioned. :P
この翻訳者を修正!

dieur

Post by dieur » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Uncom wrote:Sexy malfunctions.

I doubt that any sexbot is gonna do anything other than just stand there and have its voice module let off a robotic screech while malfunctioning.

It would probably sound more like this:

https://youtu.be/XQRnC-Sy5z0
While I have to agree about this being relatively unrealistic, I can't say I'm tried of it ;D

I'm tired of the basic plot progression of
[Robot appears totally human] -> [Something happens (water spilled, asked to divide by 0, press a button on a remote, etc] -> [Robot is walking around stiffly with arms at 90 degrees talking in stilted monotone].
The appear is the juxtaposition, not swapping out the character!

Aaack
Technosexuality: None of your business

Post by Aaack » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:20 am

I think I dislike two tropes in particular:

A. The allegory side of any story, a robot is not a human being so the rules applied to them are naturally different to humans. While order a robot to do a repetitive or dangerous task is probably the behaviour the robot was designed for it may be considered slavery for a human, so far so good, but the compare both and infer that if it’s slavery for humans must be slavery for robots too is plain wrong, it would be remove the reason to exist from a being and proclame it was “liberated”. That being said I like the description of freedom fanatism of some humans on robots described in some stories.

B. Owners treating bad their androids. In most stories a bot is an extremely expensive toy therefore most owners have the means to buy it, it follows that those owners are intelligent enough to know how to administer their own money. Think about super cars. Owners won’t crash them on purpose. If they get tired of an android as intelligent as they are they either would sell them or store them, not use them as target for darts or something silly like that. I don’t see it as a realistic behaviour.

jolshefsky
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by jolshefsky » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Just thought I'd reboot this thread with one more: androids full of goo.

If that's your thing, fine, but for the rest of us, why are they all filled with blue goo or white goo? As far as I know, no real robots (e.g. DSDoll; HRP-4C) have any liquidy goop inside them as any lubrication is right at the joints. It seems like a cheap trope because F/X crews are all about gore, so they can make blue squibs instead of red ones and voila!: robot.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky