SPAM postings

Important news and updates from the Fembot Central staff about the site.
(Only staff can start topics but members can post replies.)
Karel

Post by Karel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:37 am

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, Robotman. I've still got a freaking virus from one of those links. But how does Firefox protect you if you stupidly choose to download something off one of those sites (as I did)?

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Karel wrote:Yeah, thanks for the heads up, Robotman. I've still got a freaking virus from one of those links. But how does Firefox protect you if you stupidly choose to download something off one of those sites (as I did)?
Firefox will protect you from ActiveX trojans, spyware and viruses. Normally a downloaded file will not harm your PC unless you choose to install it. Here are 2 tips to keep your PC free of such risk (works with any windows version):
1- Open windows explorer and click on "Tools > Folder Options" Click on the "View" tab, then search and uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known files". That way, you will always see what kind of files you're downloading. Most trojans and viruses comes with an ".exe" and ".pif" extensions, but many disguise themselves by using file extensions and icons of normal files such as ".pdf" or ".jpg". By viewing file extensions on your downloaded files you should be able to recognize a fake such as "image.jpg.exe"

2- To be always on the safe side, never download a file which you didn't have the intension

Karel

Post by Karel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks guys.